Saturday 2 January 2010

Sunday Favourites.

One of my favourite gifts from my lovely DH this Christmas was the new Jamie Oliver cookbook "Jamie at Home, Cook Your Way to the Good Life" which combines two of my favourite things to do: growing vegetables and cooking.
How good is that?
I've only dipped into it's pages so far but already my head is swimming with ideas of new vegetables to try and of course the great recipes Jamie has devised to showcase the produce he grows.
In the spring and summer months (and I can't be the only one who's thoughts are already drifting that way) I like nothing better than to mooch around my potager for a few hours, planting and nuturing.
I am tempted to install a small greenhouse this year if only to stand a chance at cultivating tomatoes that ever change colour, from green to red.

But, what I really would like is a potting shed and so this week for Chari's Sunday Favourites meme @ Happy to Design I'd like to share with a post that I wrote back in May 2008.
Click on the link to the PastWhisperers and try and guess which potting shed is "me".


"The potting shed is a great place to be when it's raining and you can't get into the garden to work.
The various seedlings and small plants are thriving in one of our more usable "dependences", it's certainly not as pretty as some potting sheds but it serves all my needs.
Yesterday was warm so I finished planting the potatoes and also put in a row of spinach beet seeds which will come up alongside the spuds.
The starter lettuces that I got at the market last week are doing well and soon we'll be having fresh salad from the potager in the pretty bowl which I found at the vide grenier on Thursday.

In the meantime I think you'll enjoy this
http://www.thepastwhispers.com/Potting_Shed.html "

13 comments:

  1. I had a small shed built. Nothing fancy, just 4 walls. Maybe this year I will fancy it up a bit with some actual shelves and a replacement piece of roof where one panel tore off in a storm here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog has a whole new look, including a new avatar of you! I LIKE that avatar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, The Great Dane is a handy shed builder, so a potting shed is high on my list too. I guess that yours would be the little rose-covered shed......
    The Great Dane gave me a JO cookbook as well - the Food Revolution. They're simple recipes, but many have a twist and are a little different from the standard North American idea.
    Good luck getting that shed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to have your own potting shed and grow your own vegetables and flowers.
    What a nice new photo of you.
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have a potting shed too, Maggie. Right now, our home is like a jungle cause I brought in as much as I could to keep them from freezing....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a wonderful potting shed . . . started out life as a deer blind and is 8 sided and magical -- not big but big enough and it is perfect in the corner of the garden.

    Potting sheds are magical and I think every garden needs one!

    Now . . . I'd like to have a greenhouse . . . . hmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You would think my sun room a potting shed right now, it is housing all the lemon plants and various others brought in before the first frost. I, too, would love a real potting shed, so I could make messes with the dirt and not have to worry.
    Have received some beautiful catalogs (catalogues), with such delicious looking heirloom tomatoes, would love to have them all.

    A great post, thanks Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year Maggie,
    What a wonderful book your received...combining your love of both cooking and gardening. Make sure you post some pics of some of the great recipes you create!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a potting bench on our patio that I use in the spring and summer. Not quite the same as a potting shed or greenhouse, but good enough for now.

    I did find A Redbird Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed the story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! I like the new hairdo here. And the new photo of you! I have a friend in Bruges who has a potting shed that I love. I'd like to move in there, I think, but that's only to be near her garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like you I've been dreaming of what to plant this year. I can't wait for it to get warm enough to do so. In the meantime I'll start some seedlings indoors again.

    My potting shed is actually a table under my carport.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Maggie...

    I'm so happy to see you join in with Sunday Favorites this week, my friend...great post! It certainly made me yearn for spring and summer where fresh fruit and veggies are in abundance! I must admit that I don't have much of a green thumb. We've talked about putting in a garden and have yet to do it. You really do make it sound like fun though!!! I have never heard of this cookbook author...I'll have to do a little searching the internet! Thank you so much for sharing your post with us today for Sunday Favorites!!!

    Well my friend, sending you my warmest wishes and blessings for a fabulous new year! I'm really looking forward to 2010...and all that it holds for us here in blogland!

    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  13. No potting shed here as you well know, but I'd love one with the climbing roses if I had one. Great post, Maggie. Love the new photo! Hugs ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!