Friday 9 April 2010

Sunday Favourites, more news from the potager.

I had so many nice comments on my Alphabe-Thursday "K is for Kitchen Garden" post last week that for Chari's Sunday Favourites Rerun @Happy to Design today I thought I'd show some more of what goes on around the potager during the year.
Below is a post that originally went up last June and if you'd like to see even more home grown veggies click here for a post from the year before!

Some of you may remember from a post last year that a few years ago a pair of moorhens decided to make their home on the small pond next to the potager.
This year they produced just the one chick but it is growing well thanks to non stop feeding from the doting parent.
I feed them stale bread every morning, papa moorhen comes to the door & squawks until I go out.
Today I watched as he & the chick walked along the top of the garden wall, a first for the youngster.
6 times papa brought bread to the chick and 6 times the little beggar dropped it over the side into the field.
What a patient parent!

The vegetable garden is coming along well this year, the potatoes are great and may well take over the plot!
Thanks Sean!



We should be having blueberries with everything quite soon and the haricot beans are just beginning to flower which bodes well for later next month.

Courgettes are looking sickly (no idea why) but the bettraves (beets) are doing well after a shaky start.
We need rain!
Please do go over and join Chari for her Sunday Favourites rerun meme, there's always a lot of fun going on there.

12 comments:

  1. Maggie, your story reminds me of the baby who sits in the highchair being given something, promptly dropping it to the floor, only to have the scenario repeated as long as the one giving the treat is willing to "play the game". :-)
    No vegetables in my garden, but there is much to be done. I'm spending my "newly found" hours at home out in the garden. LOL
    All the best for a terrific weekend. Hugs ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a patient parent, indeed!
    I love the photos of your last-summer beds. They give hope for our fledgling raised beds. It's still too cold and damp here to plant out, but I am getting anxious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks so nice :) can't wait for the blueberries to be in season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your garden just looks so pretty ... it must be wonderful living there ... I have just a tiny corner of a garden as we live in a townhouse, but it is big enough to give me rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your posts, Maggie!
    That IS a patient parent and I think it's funny how he comes to your door for food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie your gardens put mine to shame!~ A vegetable garden YUM!~ We are trying the topsie turveys this year, so far so good!~ Have a Happy Sunday, and thanks for popping in:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a funny story..I love watching animals and their babies. Too cute. Your garden looks wonderful...thank for coming for a visit and becoming a new follower! I'm following you too!
    Good luck with the giveaway.

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always so interesting to me to see the gardens of others.
    One thing you rarely hear in my area is "we need rain".
    We get it quite regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maggie!

    What a fun post. I love to watch the baby animals discover life around them. Your garden looks wonderful. We haven't had warm enough weather yet to get started in ours. I hope we can soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a very patient parent. How nice to have a garden and have nice potatoes like those and I love blueberries. They are so good for you. I would love to visit Normandy some day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely garden! And what pretty visitors, the moorhens. It's nice of you to be their servant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Maggie...

    What a lovely garden, my friend! I just loved seeing your photos and especially enjoyed the photo of your moorhens! I have never seen a moorhen before...they're beautiful! Hehe...sounds like they have you wrapped around their little finger...or should I say foot? I bet that you are really enjoying Normandy this time of the year...so many transitions in the weather and scenery! I'm looking forward to seeing some of those transitions and a few photos of your future gardens!!!

    Thank you so much for joining in with Sunday Favorites this week, my friend! I do apologize at being so late to get by. We had such beautiful weather yesterday that I ended up spending much of the day outside...just soaking up the sun! I guess that Spring fever got the best of me!!!

    Warmest wishes, dear lady!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!