Monday 31 May 2010

Normandie Impressionniste Festival begins 1st June 2010.

Inside Rouen Cathedral The major cultural event of the summer here in Normandy promises to be The Impressionist Normandy Festival which begins 1st June 2010, continuing throughout the summer until September 2010.
Horse Drawn carriage in Rouen.
The Festival's website is rightly very proud of the event:
Initiated under Laurent Fabius and numerous governmental authorities, including the Regional governments of Upper and Lower Normandy, the counties of Seine-Maritime and Eure, the Cities of Rouen and Caen, with the support of major businesses, this multidisciplinary celebration is on an unprecedented scale for France. For the public, it will be the perfect opportunity to discover exceptional cultural heritage and all the creative talent of Normandy, homeland of the Impressionist movement.La Dame au Balcon. Henri Ottmann.
One of the special exhibitions is to be held in the Fine Arts Museum in Rouen.
It is entitled "A City for Impressionism" and will include paintings by Monet, Pissarro and Gauguin, many of which will be on show to the public for the first time.
The streets in Rouen's historic district are lined with ancient half timbered buildings, and here you will find many excellent small cafes and restaurants.
Click here to read my Monet's Garden at Giverney post

Champ de Coquelicots, Environs de Giverny. Claude Monet.


Nearer to home, I'll be able to visit the Corot exhibition at the Saint-Lô Fine Arts Museum and the Millet exhibition at the Thomas Henry Museum in Cherbourg.
Hopefully we'll get a chance to visit Rouen once again to see the light shows and illuminations at the Cathedral.
Rouen Cathedral by Claude Monet.
More from the Festival website:
Impressionist Normandy encompasses the entire territory of two separate regions (Upper and Lower Normandy) and as such, is an unprecedented initiative in France. The event will take place simultaneously in dozens of cities, towns, and villages. The main Norman institutions, as well as numerous other public and private partners, will be associated with the festival. In addition to the desire to bring together an entire geographical area, the fact of multiple locations also illustrates the precedent established by the painters’ own penchant to wander through the countryside in search of new subjects to paint. Certain exhibitions will be sent to other countries and thus will act as "ambassadors” for Normandy. As an unofficial & unpaid ambassador of Normandy I'm very happy to be able to promote our adopted region of France in with my blog.

If you are planning on visiting France this summer do try and see one of the amazing exhibitions going on throughout the region, and let me know if you'd like some company!

I'm linking this post to Frenchy's wonderful, 1st June French Obsession meme
@Le Château des Fleurs.
I have been lucky enough to have visited the Fine Arts Museum twice now and these photographs were taken during one of my visits.

14 comments:

  1. How lucky you are to be able to enjoy such fine art and in such a wonderful setting. I love the Impressionist period!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful artworks and you are so fortunate to have seen them first hand, Maggie...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent the day in Rouen several years ago, taking the train from Paris. I didn't get to this museum, but did see the cathedral and of course the ceramics museum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to be there Maggie, I love the Impressionists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the beautiful blog about Normandy, You must be happy to life in this impressionists site, I love France and impressionist paintings, but my life is to much kilometers away (Poland) to look at this :(
    Have a nice day!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'd love to visit Normandy this summer and take in the exhibition. Instead I'll dream and watch from afar.
    I was in Rouen cathedral once...a long time ago, before I really appreciated the history and art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Maggie. Thank you. How I'd love to be able to join in the festivities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Maggie, I have wanted to see Rouen for ages... now more than ever! Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely cathedral in Rouen. You are fortunate to live is such a wonderful area of France and live daily with such beautiful architecture and experience the way of life in Normandy. Thank you for sharing glimpses of your surroundings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so charming! I went once and it was so wonderful!
    I love Art!
    Thank you for sharing this with us at French Obsession. Very Darling.
    Gros bisous
    Frenchy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog, it allows me to live in France vicariously. This post is especially beautiful with the Monets and the Rouen photos. Thank you for a fun blog to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I received your comment about my girls near kidnapping. Thanks. I am just now getting to your blog and I have enjoyed it so far. Am trying to keep up with this blogging world....ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Maggie,

    How fortunate you are. Enjoy for me.

    hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely. I just noted today on a post re. a waterlilly in our pond that my husband had it made for me upon returning home from Giverny. ALso, that each time it rains on it I recall our trip there, as it rained that day around Easter time... So, I recall the pond being very green and waterdroplets. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!