Sunday 10 December 2017

Mosaic Monday # 65 - best laid plans and all that...........

After telling you all how my Christmas plans were coming along last week things around here went a little bit pear shaped to say the least.
The coughs and colds that are often around at this time of year and which had been bothering the SP and I since we got back from our holiday in Cyprus decided that it was all very well and good decorating and baking, but what we really needed was to spend some time in hibernation not doing very much.
This week we've been taking care of each other with hot drinks, medicine (with the occasional medicinal brandy thrown in) hot water bottles, comfort food (soft poached eggs on buttery toast was my favourite meal), napping and reading in front of a roaring log fire.
Let me share with you some of the seasonal reads that helped me forget, for a few hours, just how rotten I was feeling.

#1 on my Christmas book list has to be "A Redbird Christmas" by Fannie Flagg. I've read this lovely story umpteen times and it never fails to be uplifting, it's quite likely that I was smiling all the way through the book despite a hacking cough!
I saw on Lorrie's blog Fabric Paper Thread recently that Antony Trollope's "Christmas at Thompson Hall" is one of her seasonal favourites so I ordered it online and an Amazon elf delivered it a day later. Good call, Lorrie, I just started reading it at the weekend and am enjoying it very much.
At a recent charity book fair I picked up two classic Christmas books to add to my collection.
"A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens and the little less well known "Winter Holiday " from the Swallows and Amazons series written by Arthur Ransome which I'm looking forward to reading soon.
When I was a young girl I loved the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton and over the years have picked up a few vintage hardback versions from jumble sales and used book shops. Set during the Christmas break from their respective boarding schools "Five Go Adventuring Again " was a favourite read and getting reacquainted with Julian, Dick, Anne, George & Timothy the dog almost 60 years later made me feel quite nostalgic.
Duty called on Friday morning in the shape of M'selle Fleur's annual check up and vaccination appointment with the vet in Bayeux. All went well and she's safe from all sorts of illnesses, including rabies, for another 12 months.
Whilst in town we did a quick shop to stock up on supplies at the newly refurbished  LeClerc supermarche, these fascinating woodland creatures greeted us as we entered the lobby.


The new flower shop was a wonderful sight, just breathtaking, I hope to go back next week to pick up a floral arrangement or two and maybe some white poinsettia plants.




So, how was your week?

24 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you've been ill, Maggie. Hopefully, you'll have seen the last of the cold and sniffles for the season. Things have been crazy busy around here and I didn't get up the kind of Advent post I'd hoped for. Oh well, such is life.
    I did get one white poinsettia and hope to pick up another one. I'm glad you enjoyed Thompson Hall; I've not yet gotten to mine this year. Redbird Christmas looks interesting and I'll see if it's in the library.
    Do take care and enjoy the week. Thanks again for hosting MM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Maggie, I hope you two are feeling chipper again real soon. Your days reading by a cozy fire sound like the perfect way to get well soon. The decorating and baking can wait!
    I like you stack of books! I love to pull out my old familiar Christmas books each year.
    Thanks for hosting, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flower shop looks inviting! It's a pity we sometimes have to feel ill before we grant ourselves time to just be,with a good book and a roaring fire.
    Best wishes and thank you for hosting.

    Have a lovely week Maggie,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you have not been well, but at least you have got some reading in! Stay warm and look after yourselves as the Christmas madness begins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you have been battling a cold. There are rumours of a dreadful one here that lasts 6 weeks!
    Aren't the sights this time of year gorgeous. Some people really know how to decorate.
    I have finally learned to enjoy audiobooks as my eyes start to strain these days. Is Fannie Flag the Green Fried Tomatoes author? I must look for this one you mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jocelyn, yes it is the same author, she has written many books and I think I've read and enjoyed them all.
      M

      Delete
  6. I hope you are back to feeling 111% better, Maggie. I can certainly sympathise with you - I've been pushing myself too hard the past couple of weeks and have felt off colour the last few days.
    The new shop looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you've felt bad. I hope this week finds you fulling recovered! Sounds like you're doing all the right things to get better. I didn't know A. Trollope had a Christmas book...I'm going to look for that one! Holiday hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Maggie! I hope you are feeling better. I love Christmas books. Thanks for the recommendations. Your supermarche looks all decked out for the holiday -- gorgeous and fun! I just finished The Man Who Invented Christmas and I loved it. ... about Dickens and his writing of A Christmas Carol. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Warm wishes Maggie. Thanks for dropping in to see my mosaic today. Happy Mosaic Monday to all

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear that you've been ill, Maggie. Sometimes rest is the only thing that helps our bodies fight the germs making us sick. Your book stack looks very enticing--I'm writing down the titles for future reference. Hope you will enjoy the rest of the Christmas season in good health!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Maggie for your 65th Mosaic Monday and for sharing a wonderful flower shop and your reading stack of books. Hope the colds and not feeling well are soon only a memory. Hugs.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maggie, I hope you are feeling better soon. Good books are always great. Thanks for hosting. Have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you'll feel better soon. Flowers and books can do wonders.
    Thanks again for this week's Mosaic Monday. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Maggie -- thank you so much for hosting and sharing Normandy with us -- especially when you're feeling under the weather (and for visiting ... that is above and beyond the call of duty and much appreciated).... I hope you both are soon completely better. Fannie Flagg always makes me smile and what a good idea to read Christmasy-comfort-books when you're a bit down. And actually any time at all.... thanks for that great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maggie - sorry you have been under the weather. My sister owns a flower shop, so I have a soft spot (a large one) in my heart for them. Yours looks delightful - I like they have featured so many white items!!! Thanks for hosting us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a rotten time of year to have a cold, but you seem to have it under control, especially with the great reading materail. Lovely photos of your shopping trip. Everything is so pretty this time of year. Stay warm and get well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Maggie, I do hope by this writing you all are feeling so much better. It is just awful to feel sick during such a special time of the year. That flower shop does look very nice, what fun it will be to shop there. I have not been able to get out to one of my favorite holiday shops, but maybe next week...better hurry though the nicest things will be gone. Momma always said what you don't see before you get there, if it is gone, you shall never miss it ;) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, the photos are beautiful and it certainly is festive, but I'm so sorry to hear you have both been nailed with the seasonal sick and right at the busy time. Glad you can take care of each other though.

    What pretty shops. And Bayeux. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I sure hope you are feeling much better by now. Rest and drink lots of tea, it is an order!

    ReplyDelete
  20. With such beautiful mosaics, I certainly hope you rebound quickly, Maggie...:)JP

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!